Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Egypt's Arts... Sand In A Bottle

Glass is not just that window or mirror we have in our houses, it's also an art and a craft that is hard to master, Egyptians are known to have mastered the art of glass for thousands of years. Glas is made from the pure white sand that comes from the deserts of Egypt, so it was easy for Egyptians to get quickly inspired by the Idea of mastering the art of glass. Either by hand made moulded bottles or by filling a glass bottle with coloured sand. Which is a craft that is admired by all of Egypt's visitors alike.

The art of glass is one of the oldest crafts known to the Egyptians, even nowadays you can find street sellers selling their cheap bottles that they made at home, while elegant and beautifully crafted bottles are sold at fancy bazzars and antique shops.

It is said that taking a bottle full of sand home with you from Egypt is just like taking a peice of Egypt home with you, with all the elegance of history, and greatness of the Pharaohs, so if you do visit Egypt some day be sure to take a nice bottle full of sand home with you.

9 comments:

amr.m.rezk said...

I myself stand in front of these artists while they are working and my mouth stays opened in amazement.

Anonymous said...

yeaa. I watched as they did one too, with my name in it! :D But they took it from me at the aussie airport when I came back... :'( but its amazing. Sub7anAllah.. such skill!

amr.m.rezk said...

Aussie Airport, that's in Sydney right?
Why would they take it from you? that's strange.

Anonymous said...

Nah Perth.
They were worried about the contents of the jar :(
They said they would run an examination, but it would change the colour of the glass. So I just let them take it.. reluctantly...
Other people didnt claim it at the airport and were able to get away with it.. while for others, they spotted it in the scan.
khair! Another time inshAllah :)
We did ours at the Qarya Al Pharoaniya.. where else can we get them?

amr.m.rezk said...

well I've seen them at Khan Sl Khalili, and at the Pyramids, and in Luxor.
by the way I work at vodafone Australia here in Cairo

tramchip said...

How much is it for a bottle ?

Anonymous said...

i bought a lot of those as a gift for my relatives, but i guess they froze or something in airplane. And when i opened the bag all the sand was mixed-up :(
But yeah it's amazing how they do that. I also wanted the names on them so i really didn't like the suprise i get at home...
greetings from Finland!!

Anonymous said...

Do you know where someone can buy these in Cairo? I searched everywhere and I cant seem to find it!

amr.m.rezk said...

I assume they are sold in Khan Alkhalily.
I also saw them in the oriental section in the city stars mall.